Home > Cars & Car Travel > The Motability Car Scheme Explained

The Motability Car Scheme Explained

By: Jonathan Webb - Updated: 19 Jan 2018 | comments*Discuss
Motability Car Disability Scheme Award

The purchase and adaptation of a car can prove to be an expensive exercise. Motability, a not for profit organisation, operate the Motability Scheme, which enables disabled drivers to either purchase or lease a car at a price which is affordable.

If you are in receipt of the War Pensioners' Mobility Supplement or the higher rate of the mobility component of Disability Living Allowance, the Mobility Scheme can assist you in the purchase or lease of a car. If you are unable to drive, it is possible for you to apply for a car by putting forward the names of two people who would be willing to act as your driver.

It is possible to change nominated drivers during the lease and it is also possible to add a third nominated driver for a little extra cost. If one of your nominated drivers is under 25, there are restrictions on what type of vehicles they can be insured on and an insurance excess will apply. If you have a child aged three years or over, and who is entitled to claim the higher rate mobility component of Disability Living Allowance, you can also apply for a car through the Motability Scheme. You simply turn part, or all, of your allowance into the car of your choice. There are no waiting lists, no credit checks and there is no assessment required.

The person in receipt of mobility allowance does not always have to be in the car when it is in use. Someone doing your shopping or general errands can also be of great benefit to you.

Contract Hire Scheme

The contract hire scheme allows you to lease a car, that has been supplied by a Motability accredited dealer, for at least three years. Although you will need to pay for the fitting and removal of any modifications, insurance, servicing and roadside recovery are included in the cost along with free replacement tyres and window or windscreen replacement at no extra cost. This policy continues right to the end of your three year contract, with a seamless transfer to your new car. You are able to apply for this if you have at least 12 months of your Disability Living Award remaining. If, during the full length of your chosen scheme, your award is not renewed the car has to be returned.

Motability updates their car prices every quarter and, even if the price rises before you collect it, you only pay the price that was quoted at the time of ordering. Depending on what car you have chosen, it may not even be necessary to make an advance payment.

A hire purchase scheme is also available to enable you to purchase the car of your choice, whether it be a new or second hand car. If you chose this option you are responsible for negotiating the purchase price of the car with your chosen dealer and also for ensuring the car is covered by insurance. The hire purchase term can last between three and five years, after which you will own the car.

If you have financial difficulties that may make paying for a car, or having it adapted, difficult, it may be possible for Motability to offer a grant through their charitable fund or through the specialised vehicle funds that they administer on behalf of the government.

You might also like...
Share Your Story, Join the Discussion or Seek Advice..
[Add a Comment]
My 17 year old daughter has been awarded enhanced mobility and enhanced rate for daily living needs. Due to her autism & other medical issues she would not be able to drive. Am I entitled as her parent to a mobility car. I also transport/care for my 91 year old mother & father and transport them daily to get them out and to attend their hospital and other appointments. My mother has Copd and is on oxygen and my father has recently had a distal bypass and walks with the help of a stick. I do not claim careers allowance or any other allowances for any of them.
Coconut - 19-Jan-18 @ 9:36 PM
Can anyone tell me if a person has just passed their driving test are they allowed to go on as a second driver?
2017 - 21-Oct-17 @ 3:50 PM
I am in receipt of pip after suffering with athritis of my knees and also having spinal surgery 10 yrs ago which i still suffer with back problems could i apply for a car on mobility
Mizzy - 2-Oct-17 @ 4:59 PM
Hi. I have been having a right foot drop on account of an accident I had 7 years ago. For the last 7 years, I have been driving an automatic transmission car using my left foot without the need to make any amendments to the pedals. I have trained myself to do this efficiently and driving this way comes naturally to me now. I have now moved into the UK a couple of months ago from my home country and was wondering if I can continue to drive the way I have been doing for the last 7 years, i.e. without the need to "adapt" my car? Will this method of driving be acceptable to DVLA and the insurance companies? Thanks for your response
arup - 27-Aug-17 @ 3:12 PM
Hello. I have a driving license. In 2015 I was diagnosed with osteo-arthritis in both knees.Having recovered from that after 3 months, I was hit from behind in a car accident which propelled me into another car that hit me on the driver's side, irritating my right knee especially. The concluding medical reports have now stated that the car accident has exacerbated my arthritis, to the extent that I have been advised to learn to drive again using steering wheel controls as my knees - and especially my right knee can nolonger take the pressure of pedals.I just have a couple of questions as a result:-1) Does that mean that I am disabled and ought I seek to be registered as such?2) If yes or even no, how do I find someone to enable me to gain confidence in using steering wheel controls and then how might I get assistance in purchasing a car? Thank you for your assistance in this matter.
Delta - 26-Jul-17 @ 7:41 PM
LEE - Your Question:
Did allow who deafness get Motability or not? Kindest regards Lee

Our Response:
You can find out all you need to know via the link here.
DisabledTravelAdvice - 18-Jul-17 @ 12:45 PM
Did allow who deafness get Motability or not? Kindest regards Lee
LEE - 17-Jul-17 @ 8:33 PM
i have a mobility car i paid 695 pounds of a deposit i recieved my new car on 2/11/2016 a large van hit me from behind 14000 pounds damage.right off.i am looking for a car the same as the one that was right off.one person tells me thatit is insurance job and i dont have to leave a deposit. an another tells me i have . both from mobility.
waldo - 8-Jun-17 @ 2:44 AM
I am asking my mother can't walk and needs now and again to go out would i as the husband who drives be eligible for a mobility car
Zam - 4-Jun-17 @ 2:59 PM
i am a carer formy son who gets dla and i want to take him and my other kids on holiday but will need a bigger car is there any way of hiring one cheaper for the holiday duration or get funding for this? any advice would be gratefull thank you x
nikki - 23-May-17 @ 11:08 AM
Due to reassesment my husband has now been put on the lower rater pip. Can he buy his mobility car and does this have to be purchased outright? Thanks
itswilma - 9-Apr-17 @ 7:43 PM
Hi I have 2 disabled kids with DUCHENNE MUSCULAR DYSTROPHY and we have a 9 seater Renault traffic minibus off Motability as my dad is the driver and my mum and dad live with me. My wife and 3 kids but I am now 26 and have my driving test in a few weeks and very likely to pass but I was wondering can I get another car as I have 2 separate Motability awards that we get for 2 kids so I shouldn't see the problem as they will take my other Motability side of my other sons claim to pay for the car every month so I need to know as I'm gonna order a car this week to be here ready in time for when I pass. Please help!!!!
Steeley - 3-Apr-17 @ 8:12 PM
Hi after multiple motability cars that i drive for my mother .I live about 200m from her and the car is for running her about and errands . I work part time and use car to go and come back from work but as i dont pass my mothers house directly going to work I can no longer use car and having a tracker fitted as i work where no bus route available it will take an extra 2 hrs a day and restricts any usage for my mother as car will be parked up.Is there any exception I could use. I have read about paying the tax but dont know if new rules permit that .
Swankey - 29-Mar-17 @ 8:17 AM
I'm 24 at the moment . My mother has a car from motability they state that only people over 25 can drive this vehicle , since there has been a negative change in her circumstance and im the only person able to care for her and unless I'm able to drive her car to take her to hospital appointments and pick up prescriptions and generally take her out she will be house bound . Will motability make an exception in these rare circumstances ?
Jack - 27-Mar-17 @ 5:24 PM
l am a recent below the knee amputee, l drive a Toyota Hilux Surf automatic. it was my right leg that was removed, so l was wandering if either l could get the accelorator transfered to a paddle on the steering wheel, or have the pedals moved to the left so that l could use my left foot to drive....
none - 26-Mar-17 @ 3:25 PM
My husband is on higher rate pip he needs a car on the mobility scheme do they do a credit check because his credit rating is not good thanks
Louby - 21-Mar-17 @ 11:51 AM
I have motibility car, had accident In it today... was either hit the cyclist that cut me up on my inside or dash right and hit a parked car. now the rider just didn't care and waved his hands and carried on riding. now I'm left with a 2017 plate car that's mangled because he couldn't wait 30seconds for me to turn the corner. where do I stand???
shakyshakes - 20-Mar-17 @ 2:59 AM
My mother in law has a motabilty car that my 70 year old father in law drives her around in. My sister in law lives locally and is a named driver on the insurance. I have my own fully comprehensive insurance for my car. It allows me to drive any car with the permission of the owner. My question is; on the odd occasion that I am required can I drive the motabity car using my insurance for the benefit of my mother in law should my father in law be ill and my sister in law be unavailable? Can my mother in law give me the permission that my insurance company needs or dies that decision rest with the motabilty scheme? It is not worth paying to be a third driver on the schemes insurance as this use of the vehicle by me would only be needed in an emergency.
steve620 - 1-Mar-17 @ 5:24 PM
How close do I have to live to my mum to drive her mobility car for her?
laura - 21-Feb-17 @ 7:55 PM
I'm living with my partner who has 3 children of which areor do aWe are expecting our first baby in Junemy question is iv got my own car but it's still on financebut we need a mobility caris there any way of my carbeingchanged or sorted so I can have a bigger carany help would, do be greatfull.
Pickles - 3-Feb-17 @ 4:34 PM
Hi, my partner receives PIP and she has recently been looking into getting a mobility car with myself as a named driver. Would I be able to do the school runs in it? My partner can't make the walk from the car to the classrooms. or would we need a 2nd car? The mobility website states 'The car is used by, or for the benefit of, the disabled person', which seems to be a very 'Grey Area' and open for interpretation. As my partner is unable to do the school runs, would me using the mobility car be for her benefit or mine? Many Thanks
Alan - 1-Feb-17 @ 11:44 AM
Can I be a nominated first driver under two different peoples mobility cars
J - 29-Jan-17 @ 10:03 AM
I have had numerous abdominal operations and have no perinium due to recital cancer . My abdomen wall is very weak and I am not allowed to lift things etc.. I have a disabled badge awarded for help with these problems. My main problem however is my car a 208 Peugeot which I bought in 2015 before having two perineal hernia operations. This car although it has power assisted steering is far too heavy to turn from cold or to park . It is causing me real problems. I have test driven a fiat 500 and a Mazda and I can turn them , park them etc very easily.the assisted steer ing is so much better. They turn on a sixpence . The dealer for Puegot has agreed that the car I bought from them is heavy and not suitable for my medical condition . But are unprepared to do anything about it or let me out if the contract in order for me to purchase another car. Even though they are dealers for the Mazda , fiat Vauxhall and Puegot . The dealership suggested I apply for a mobility qualificationthen they could supply me with a more suitable car .but have no idea how to do this. I am not in receipt of any disability allowance as I was not aware I could apply for one . I am a pensioner who was until this latest bout of operation working part time as a supply teacher . What I want to know is what paper work do I need to get in order to qualify for a mobility car ? I am facing further abdominal surgery within the next two months .My car is my lifeline without it my world becomes four walls .
Farovia - 5-Jan-17 @ 7:33 AM
My disabled neighbour has nominated a friend to run errands in his car but this friend also uses his car for work and to give lifts to his girlfriend. Are they breaking the law by having a passenger in the car whilst the disabled man is not in it?
Robbyk - 23-Dec-16 @ 4:30 AM
Lin - Your Question:
If I lose my pip claim. How much money do I receive from them. As I paid 1500 deptOn.my.vehicle.Many thanks

Our Response:
You would have to speak to the DWP directly regarding this.
DisabledTravelAdvice - 17-Nov-16 @ 2:17 PM
If I lose my pip claim. How much money do I receive from them. As I paid 1500 dept On.my.vehicle. Many thanks
Lin - 11-Nov-16 @ 1:30 AM
lste - Your Question:
If both the insured drivers of a motability vehicle , on the standard 3 year lease scheme, have their licence taken away from them by their doctors declaring them unfit to drive ever again will they still be required to pay the £250 admin costs of returning plus any additional costs?

Our Response:
I'm afraid we cannot answer this as we do not have the information. You would have to see the terms and conditions of the lease and /or contact the providers directly.
DisabledTravelAdvice - 8-Nov-16 @ 11:05 AM
If both the insured drivers of a motability vehicle , on the standard 3 year lease scheme, have their licence taken away from them by their doctors declaring them unfit to drive ever again will they still be required to pay the £250 admin costs of returning plus any additional costs?
lste - 7-Nov-16 @ 2:28 PM
If the disabled people moves out of the house, would the disability car follow them or would it stay with the nominated driver?
Important - 25-Oct-16 @ 10:08 AM
I know someone whose wife is disabled and the car is registered and she has a blue badge andhas exempt tax etc her husband uses the car for work and i understand he is the named driver is he allowed to use the car if shes not in the car with him?
CURIOUS - 14-Oct-16 @ 11:54 PM
Share Your Story, Join the Discussion or Seek Advice...
(never shown)
(never shown)
(never shown)
(never shown)
Enter word:
Latest Comments
Further Reading...
Our Most Popular...
Add to my Yahoo!
Add to Google
Stumble this
Add to Twitter
Add To Facebook
RSS feed
You should seek independent professional advice before acting upon any information on the DisabledTravelAdvice website. Please read our Disclaimer.