Home > Ask Our Experts > Holiday Let For Disabled Customers: What Are the Guidelines?

Holiday Let For Disabled Customers: What Are the Guidelines?

By: Chris Hogan MSc - Updated: 2 Jul 2017 | comments*Discuss
Access Disability Building Regulations


My husband and I are in the process of converting our single storey barn to a self-catering holiday let and would be keen to be able to offer this facility to people with a disability.

We are having some difficulty finding information and guidelines that details what is required/necessary specification for disability users such as; support handles in bathrooms, no steps, wider doorways, etc. Are there basic guidelines we should follow? Can you point us in the right direction?

(R.H, 16 June 2009)


There are quite a few sources of guidelines and information for adapting holiday properties for disabled guests. The problems are knowing where to look and deciding what to do when the various bits of information and legislation on disabled access contradict each other, which they sometimes do.

Access for All

Access for all (rather than access for the disabled) is the new approach when it comes to building regulations and this approach is enshrined in Part M of the Building Regulations introduced in 2004. This means that, in theory, you can get guidance and advice from your local planning authority or the building regulation people (they usually share offices).

The Part M document lists all the guidelines and has some useful diagrams showing clearances for wheelchairs and the technical details for ramps and so on. It is available for £15 from the Royal Institute of British Architects (RIBA) or as a free download from the government's planning portal: www.planningportal.gov.uk


One tricky element is that the guidelines, particularly those from building regulations, will rarely stipulate exactly what needs to be done but describe what would be compliant with the Act (the Disability Discrimination Act).

What you do to make your property compliant could be completely different to someone else and it's down to the individual building inspector as to whether or not they believe that your modifications are compliant with the Act.

Still, building inspectors rarely want to cause problems and they prefer to be involved at an early stage so that you avoid doing work that has to be changed or undone.

Government Internet Portals

Another source of information is the Equality and Human Rights Commission (EHRC) which took over the responsibilities of the now defunct Disability Rights Commission (DRC) on 1st October 2007. At the time of writing their website is not fully up and running and the DRC's website is available in archive form but doesn't have anything really helpful.

The government portal www.gov.uk has a lot of information on disability and access including another document that's free to download, a guide to making access to goods and services easier for disabled customers. You can find this in the section on access to everyday services.

Look to the Associations

You are also likely to find help from the various bed and breakfast and holiday proprietors association. It will cost a little to join, and you need to be wary about taking their advice as gospel.

But they are likely to have a good idea of what's going on and could perhaps put you in touch with other holiday property owners with similar properties who would discuss their modifications with you.

You might also like...
Share Your Story, Join the Discussion or Seek Advice..
[Add a Comment]
I have a Canadian Handicap sign for my car. What are the rules for using it in Scotland ? Regards
Johny Canuck - 2-Jul-17 @ 8:39 PM
I am planning a trip to England in late August. I have a permanent handicapped sticker issued by the local government (US) with a physicians verification. I have arthritis and getting around is becoming increasingly difficult but do not wish for it to compromise my visit. I have chosen friendly accommodations and my companion will drive. I have checked with Hertz at Heathrow and they have told me there is no way to acquire handicapped identification in the UK. Could you tell me if there is, indeed, no way to acquire the permission or provide details of procedure to acquire one. I can provide my doctor's certificate. Thank you.
Pat - 9-Jul-15 @ 7:53 PM
My wife is disabled and uses a manual wheelchair because she cannot stand or walk, and we are visiting London from the USA in early May. I know that many benefits are only for residents of London, so what can we purchase prior to coming to London, such as reduced rail passes from Southampton to London or London to Windsor? Thank you.
Paul - 25-Dec-14 @ 1:56 PM
Dear Office, I am writing from Genoa, Italy. I scheduled a visit of London with my family in May; my 14 years old son suffers from a spastic quadriplegia, so he is on a wheelchair. We plan to visit London, especially the old town, with our car. I am writing you with a few questions: 1) Do you think it is advisable to visit the City by car? Is it preferable to leave the car in the suburbs and move with public transports such as buses and cabs? The problem with us is the wheelchair (that can not be closed, it is big and it needs a big boot in which to charge it). 2) Are special permits required for access to the city center by car? 2) Is there a map of the parking spaces reserved for the disabled people available at your office? Thank you in advance for your kindness. Best regards. Laura Menta via del Mirto 8/17-16139 Genova (Italy) tel. 00390108315806, mobile 00393490954208, e-mail: lauramenta@virgilio.it
laura - 25-Mar-14 @ 1:22 PM
I am finding difficulty in finding self-catering accommodation for 5 people, one of whom is wheelchair bound. My sister is not severely disabled and can manage most things herself, requiring only ground floor accommodation with ramp access and a shower/wet room. She can access normal car transport, has her own motorised buggy and is fervently independent. Not wanting to be a burden on the other members of family she would need access to a local pub, newsagent and other local shops. Would love a sea view room and not stashed away in a "long forgotten back room". She maintains that whilst having lost the use of her legs she is still of spritely mind and very keen to see, to do and to take part in all that life can offer her. My sister has travelled the world before becoming ill but now wishes to concentrate on the Britain she has not included - the Scilly Isles seem ideal for April/May 2014. Can you advise?
tinker - 6-Oct-13 @ 7:00 PM
Share Your Story, Join the Discussion or Seek Advice...
(never shown)
(never shown)
(never shown)
(never shown)
Enter word:
Latest Comments