Buying a mobility scooter can be the start of a journey of freedom and independence for many people who have mobility challenges, or it might be that you have had one for many years and you are tired of charging it up and fed up with the bulky driving experience. You might be ready to research to find your next buy. Well, we have researched and tried many mobility scooters and have pulled together a list of our favourites for you to look over to make your life that little bit easier when selecting your mobility scooter.
Last Update October 2021
- Why do I need a mobility scooter?
- What are the different types?
- Small (Class 2 mobility scooter)
- Medium (class 2 or 3 mobility scooter)
- Large (class 3)
- Mobility Scooters Our Top Finds
- Best Mobility Scooter Accessories
- Things to Consider When Buying a Mobility Scooter
Why do I need a mobility scooter?
There are many reason why you might have mobility challenges, maybe you cant walk or you have breathing problems that gives you shortness of breath, perhaps your recovering from an operation or accident. What ever the reason a mobility scooter could be the answer.
What are the different types?
There are so many types available now than there ever has been so where do you start? Well think about what you need it for? why not read through our BUYERS GUIDE to find out which might be best suited to your needs. Whats is a Class 2 or 3 mobility scooter?
Small (Class 2 mobility scooter)
A class 2 mobility scooter or small scooters can be useful if you have limited storage space and quite often the smaller scooters can be taken apart enabling you to put them into the boot of your car. Some of the smaller scooters come with 3 wheels rather than 4 in some cases having a 3 wheeler mobility scooter can make them a little less stable. Smaller scooters are lighter and easier to transport, however, do note that this means the user weight limit may be lower.
Pro’s of a small class 2 mobility scooter.
- Small class 2 mobility scooters are easier to store
- They usually have a lower purchase price
- The smaller mobility scooters are easier to use indoors
- Smaller mobility scooter generally weigh less than standard ones
Con’s of a small class 2 mobility scooter.
- Some of the smaller mobility scooters can be a little less steady
- Smaller mobility scooters may have a smaller footplate
- Small mobility scooters usually have less weight capacity for it’s passanger
Medium (class 2 or 3 mobility scooter)
If you need to carry more weight on the scooter then maybe you should consider a medium scooter. More robust and sturdier than the smaller scooters they can usually travel further on a single charge and tend to be slightly faster around 4 mph. The seats tend to be more comfortable too.
Pro’s of a medium class 2 or class 3 mobility scooter.
- The medium mobility scooter are steadier on the pavements
- The medium mobility scooter should have a greater weight capacity, which means the scooter can accomodate a dencent weight of passanger safely
- We have found medium mobility scooters are more comfortable to ride as they can have bigger wheels and larger seats
Con’s of a medium class 2 or class 3 mobility scooter.
- May need an outdoor charging point ( unless battery can be removed)
- Most medium mobility scooters will need a larger turning circle due to it being a larger vehicle
Large (class 3)
The larger scooters (class 3) can be driven on the road as well as the pavements although they will need to be registered with the DVLA if driving on the road. The larger class 3 scooters will have a greater travel range than the smaller scooters, generally around 15 to 20 miles or so. The larger class 3 scooters are very robust and steady to drive, usually with a large comfy seat. They will also be fitted with front and rear lights and reflectors, direction indicators able to operate as a hazard warning signal and rear view mirrors.
Pro’s of a large class 3 mobility scooter.
- You can drive on the road in a large class 3 mobility scooter. The maximum speed is 8mph.
- You do not have to pay vehicle tax for any mobility scooter or powered wheelchair if it’s registered as a ‘class 3 invalid carriage
- The larger mobility scooters are usually much more comfortable than the smaller mobility scooters
Con’s of a large class 3 mobility scooter.
- The large mobility scooters will need an outdoor charging point ( unless the battery can be removed)
- Most large mobility scooters will need a larger turning circle due to it being a larger vehicle
- You will need a place to store your large mobility scooter
Mobility Scooters Our Top Finds
In a hurry? If you don’t have much time using the links below to quickly find our favourites.
Best Lightweight Mobility Scooters
- SAFE MANEUVERABILITY: Navigate over any smooth surface with comfort and ease with the Vive...
- COMFORT SEATING: Lightly padded, the wide, 16.9” seat and backrest provide comfortable cushioning....
- EASY PORTABILITY: Quickly disassemble the Vive mobility scooter into four separate pieces for easy...
- MOBILITY SOLUTION: this portable mobility scooter allows you to travel a distance of 10 mile at a...
- DELTA SHAPED HANDLE: the delta-shaped steer handle offers an effortless driving experience even with...
- EASY PORTABILITY: this compact motorized scooter has an automatic folding mechanism that can be...
We love this little scooter as it easily opens and closes at the push of a button so nice and quick for when you are going for a day out to the shops, Some people have found this scooter a little heavy to lift in and out of the car so it may be worth considering this.
Best Portable Mobility Scooters
- SAFELY NAVIGATE SMOOTH SURFACES: Easily manoeuvre over smooth indoor surfaces and rough outdoor...
- COMFORTABLE SEATING: Comfortably padded, the wide, 40cm seat and backrest provide gentle cushioning...
- EASY TO TRANSPORT: Quickly disassemble the Vive mobility scooter into four separate pieces for easy...
- This is the Deluxe LX version of the GOGO scooter. Improvements over the basic GOGO model include:...
- Maximum range of 8 miles on full battery charge. Top speed of 4 mph. Comfortable and lightweight. On...
- Height adjustable 360° swivel seat. Adjustable angle tiller. Solid puncture proof tyres. Useful...
If your looking for a scooter to put in the boot of your car it might be worth considering one that disassembles. The GoGo Elite has a Feather-touch disassembly permitting simple frame separation with only one hand. The frame design easily disassembles into 5 lightweight pieces for convenient transport and storage.
Best large Mobility Scooters
- The King Cobra is a revolutionary scooter in terms of design, styling and aesthetics and is...
- Designed to give an outstanding battery consumption with a maximum range capacity of 32 miles on a...
- Stylish blade alloy wheels and a state of the art control system combine with advanced safety...
- Adult Electric Scooter UK - Convenient and ready-to-ride electric scooters for adults.
- Blue, Red, Grey, and Black Scooter - Sleek and stylish design available in a variety of eye-catching...
- Scooter Light - Equipped with a powerful LED headlight for enhanced safety during night rides.
This is a very powerful scooter with a 3 gear motor. If your looking for something serious to get you around then this might be for you. Comes with either the car type lead acid battery which is built in or a modern lithium-ion battery which can be removed and charged at in the house making it very convenient. The lithium-ion battery is much lighter than the acid battery.
Best for off roading/all terrain mobility scooters
- The Ability Superstore Easy Rider is the latest model in the range and improves on some of the...
- A top speed of 8mph and a more than adequate range of up to 31 miles on a full battery charge, the...
- The ultimate riding experience, offering superb handling and a range of specifications to rival any...
Best Mobility Scooter Accessories
Once you have chosen your mobility scooter there are some very nice accessories you might want to consider. Here are a few of our choices.
- High quality deluxe scooter padded storage bag for convenient and effective storage of personal...
- Made from waterproof polyester with a padded lining that is durable enough to withstand outside...
- Designed with two rear zipped pockets for flexible storage and an internal clear zipped pouch for...
You can never have enough storage.
- vtarp Registered BRITISH BRAND
- Premium Quality : Promotional offer at £11.99 from £15.99 "GRAB THE OPPORTUNITY"
- Great Protection of control panel whilst allowing easy access & Clear Panel to view the controls.
Just in case you get caught out in the rain, keep your scooter controls protected
- ULTIMATE COMFORT AND PRESSURE RELIEF- Advanced column-buckling technology disperses your body weight...
- INTERNAL SWIVEL MECHANISM- Rotating a full 360 degrees, this 15.5" cushion allows you to comfortably...
- RESILIENT- The cushion (2" thick) will maintain its original shape and it won't lose its support,...
There is nothing more important than your comfort
Things to Consider When Buying a Mobility Scooter
- Where can I store my mobility scooter?
- Can the battery be removed to charge?
- Where will i be using the mobility scooter?
- What is the mobility scooters weight capacity?
Our choices of the best available scooters for 2021